Tuesday, May 11, 2010

5 months!



Whew! It has been awhile since I last updated! Quique worked an average of 12 hours a day last week so I was way too busy taking care of the nugget to update. Speaking of the little nugget:

Lilia is 5 months old! She is more alert than ever and screeching all the time. Yes screeching. As in shatter-a-dog's-ears-high-pitched screech. She's apparently practicing using her voice and it's even making her go hoarse. I'm hoping that phase goes away soon... We went to the doctor's on the 10th and she is 13 pounds 13 ounces (9th percentile) and 25 inches. She's still on the low end for weight which gets on my nerves, but the doctor isn't concerned so that's a good sign. The doctor also checks to see how Lilia is doing on those milestones (lifting head, rolling over, etc.) so she checked how well she could sit. I had to laugh because when she sat her down Lilia's chest pretty much just flopped right over her chubby thighs. It was just funny to see how the doctor was like, "Okay let's see how well you sit up!....Okay, maybe at the six month appointment..." Since most babies don't sit up at five months I'm not worried.

Last week we started solids! I bought some rice/corn cereal for Lilia. The doctor said to put it in a bottle, but I wanted the whole "solids experience" video to be with a spoon. So we started with a spoon and now we do spoon in the morning and bottle at night. I'd like to document her solids experience with some pictures:


"I don't know about this, mom..."

"Well it is kinda good..."


"I love this stuff! Gimme more!"

So now ever since we started feeding her with a spoon she thinks it's a huge game. I start to put the spoon in her mouth, she looks up at me, and then smiles so big that I can see every grain of rice cereal in her mouth all while she laughs hysterically. Let's just hope this is a pattern with all foods!

On May 1st I walked twenty minutes to the gym to realize that it was closed for a holiday. When I got home I told Quique, "Hey let's go do something since we've got a whole free day ahead." So that's what we did. We went to the mountains surrounding Madrid for the day and it was beautiful! We found the most beautiful spot in an open field right in front of a snow covered mountain and had lunch there. We had to drive about 20 minutes up and then back down a mountain to get there and it was absolutely gorgeous. The snow was still at the top (it was cold!). After we finished eating lunch there we drove through a nearby town and to a lake at the base of the mountain. It was such a relaxing day and perfect for Quique and I because it was a few days after Quique's birthday and a day before Mother's Day.





My first Mother's Day was really nice. Spain celebrated it on May 2nd, a week before the U.S. We went to the English-speaking Mass in the morning as a family. Then Quique got me flowers and made me paella for lunch. The paella was excellent especially because it was his first try. He's such a chef! Hopefully Lilia gets his cooking skills!


This week I'm just trying to get a lot of working out in since I didn't get to at all last week. I did my abs class this week! Ouch! I also bought this cereal because it had a workout DVD in it (I'm like a little kid with the cracker jack box) and I used the DVD for the first time yesterday. I didn't think it would be that great, but my ridiculously sore muscles say otherwise. It's only a 20 minute DVD! I still have a long way to go... This past week I also had a Mexican fiesta with some friends. The food was great and the company was even better. It's nice to have a change of faces every once in awhile.

I need a quick favor if you guys have the chance. I'd really like it if you could leave a message so I know who is reading the blog. I never have any clue if I'm writing to six people or to twenty (if you've added me as a follower than don't worry :) I just want to know who of our family and friends reads this so I can get an idea of my audience. The directions for posting are on the top left of the blog in the about me section (very easy!). Don't forget that at the top left you can enter your e-mail and you will be e-mailed every time I update.
5 month picture outtakes:



4 comments:

  1. Great blog this month Christina. I especially enjoyed the pictures of you and Quique and you know how if feel about looking at Lilia's photos. The paella that Quique made looked really good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the blog post, Christina! My favorite pics were proud Daddy & Lilia in front of the mountain and the 5mo photo session outtakes - especially the bottom and falling on face ones! It's always interesting what your Spanish doctor tells you and the advice we get here. Like this time- we're told to never put the cereal in a bottle. And, when Julia was 13# at 5mo, it was the 25th percentile. Julia was 25.5" then. She and Lilia are growing about the same :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I looked on a web site to see what percentile she's in since Spain does a range. And seriously I heard the same thing about cereal in a bottle too! I heard it's bad, but since my doctor said go ahead, it's so much easier, plus she's on the low end of the weight scale I thought it couldn't hurt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the out-takes! I enjoy getting to read your blog and see how much Lilia is growing and then chat with your dad about it and what all you've been up to. I also like how you were telling us some of the things you like about Spain. I think it's interesting to see how different things are in different places. We should schedule a lunch or something with everyone here at the office when you are in town!

    ReplyDelete