Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Nice long week of vacation






I just spent all of Holy Week with two friends in Italy. I had a great time although I´m glad to be back! I feel like I took every mode of transportation known to man. We flew into Milan last Tuesday and took a day trip to Lake Como. Lake Como is a beautiful lake shaped like a Y where a lot of the Italian people go on vacation. George Clooney owns a house there too! We walked around the lake all day and took a scenic bus ride around the cliffs. Because Lake Como is so close to Switzerland I also got to see the Swiss Alps covered in snow. We only spent one day in Lake Como and the next day we were off to Verona.

I think Verona was my favorite place. The hostal we stayed at was amazing. It was nicer than any hotel I´d ever been in and we got a free homemade breakfast. The first thing we did in Verona was grab some food from the grocery store and eat in the park. We went to the old arena after that. It looked like a scene from the movie Gladiator on the inside. The seats in the stands were so smooth that I slipped and fell on my butt on one of them. I´m sure nobody noticed... We saw Juliette´s balcony where Romeo and Juliette supposedly had their famous meeting. Overall, Verona was really calm and very small. I liked it a lot.

Venice was neat because you had to take a boat everywhere! We took a boat to our hostal which was nice because it gave us a nice tour of the Grand Canal. It´s so crazy to see people´s front doors about a foot above the water. We visited a beautiful church called San Marcos. It was absolutely huge. Because the ground was so uneven all of the towers and tall buildings in the city looked like they were leaning. The second day we were in Venice we went to a small island called Burona which is known for its brightly colored houses and lace. It was my favorite part of Venice. I thought it was so neat how every house was painted a different and very bright color.

Our last stop was in Florence. Florence is beautiful and known for all of it´s famous statues such as David and Michelangelo´s Pieta. After my second day in Florence I left with one of my friends back to Milan to catch a flight to Madrid. We arrived in Milan on Sunday night and weren´t leaving until 6:45 a.m. the next day. We slept in the waiting room of the train station and let me tell you THAT was an experience. All of the homeless people sleep there because it is warm and open all night. So I slept next to like 6 homeless people who hadn´t bathed in awhile and seemed very sick. I felt like I was homeless that night. It was a strange feeling.

Now I´m back in Madrid at school. It´s nice to get back to a regular schedule and sleep in my own bed!

No comments:

Post a Comment